Before an Earthquake
- Make sure that you have emergency supplies available including food, first aid kits, and flashlights plus extra batteries.
- Identify which parts of your house can be considered as safe spots. These spots should be away from any object that might shatter, fall or fly at you during the earthquake. It should also be able to provide you a sturdy protection against such objects.
- Educate your family members on what to do should a major earthquake hit your area.
- Take shelter under s sturdy table and stay in there until the shaking stops. If you cannot find a sturdy table, cover your head with your arms and stay in a crouching position in an inside corner of your house or building.
- If you are near a strong and sturdy doorway, you can use it as your shelter.
- Do not use elevators. As much as possible, stay inside until the shaking stops and you are sure that moving to another location is safe.
- If you are inside a moving vehicle, stop driving but make sure that you are away from any object that might fall on you like trees and utility wires.